Friday, June 22, 2007

Grover

Well I was right, my niece did take it pretty hard. She was depressed for a couple days and to pull her out of her grief, she decided to get us another dog. Chuck and I were not really interested in finding a dog right now. We were going to focus more of our attention on adopting a child and then we as a family would pick one out. However, I understood how she was feeling because I went through the same thing when my aunt's dog died while in my care. So if she wanted to get us another dog to help her I wasn't going to stop her. I didn't find this out until Wednesday afternoon when Chuck called me and told me she was looking for another dog and Ken kept asking him if this dog will work or that one. Chuck kept telling him no, but he should have explained the reason why.

Thursday morning I was at my computer when I heard a knock on the front door. I glanced to my right and looked out the big window and saw Ken and Kelly's white van in our driveway, to be honest my first thought was "oh no, they better not have come with a dog!" Before I had a chance to take off my headset Carrie came bounding in the room all excited. She said that she had a surprise for me outside. When we got to the door, Carrie opened it and in walked Kelly holding a dog on a leash. They had picked out a little orange Pomeranian from the pound. It had been there a while and was about to be put down. He already has been neutered and looks pretty healthy and I think he is already housebroken (but I still have to check on him every half hour because it is new surroundings and I am still not 100% sure that he is totally housebroken) except they are not certain about his age... we are guessing about 1. He also didn't have a name that they knew of so I told Carrie she could name him. She couldn't think of a name that he seemed to like, so I said the first name that came to mind... Grover. He seemed to like that name and so did everyone else, so that is the name we gave him.


When I first got him, he was active and perky and was running around playing with Brenden and Carrie and licking our fingers. Brenden and Carrie spent the afternoon with me to help me with Grover in case he wasn't potty trained yet. He was all happy to be playing when them, but a few hours later he started throwing everything up. He would go drink his water like there was no tomorrow then he would throw it up. He would not only throw up his water, but his food too. After that all he wanted to do was sleep. I do not know if it was his nerves from being in a new place making him sick or from the kids causing him to much excitement. But today all he does is lay around and he will not eat. Even my friend came over and knew right away that he was sick and told me try a little can dog food.


This evening when Chuck came home, he had bought some puppy food for him. We are unsure of his true age but everybody guesstimates about one and when I did research on the Internet for Pomeranian it would always say to give them dry dog food. He also got him to try a little Pepto-Bismol to see if that would help settle his stomach. Then we ate pot pie's and I decided to give him the last little bite by putting it on my finger for him to lick off. That seemed to help because once I did that he seemed to perk up and even played with Chuck a little bit. So now we know that we need to get to him soft can food. He's still not as active as he was yesterday, but at least he is showing signs of improvement!

No comments:

My Heroes

Photos `