Thursday, November 01, 2007

A big disappointment...

Wow, I have not been on here in a while. I think it's time I wrote something!

You know, Halloween has turned into a big disappointment. This is our third Halloween in this house and we do not get any trick-or-treaters, not even my nieces and nephews! Our first Halloween we decorated and made sure to turn on the outside lights and even bought a bunch of candy. We didn't get any visitors that first year, which surprised us because our niece and nephew who are of age did not come. Chuck mentioned something about it to his brother the next day and his brother said he forgot and well remember the next year. All of the candy that we had became mine, so I didn't need to buy myself any sweets for a while (it would have been longer but my mother-in-law kept eating it too). The next year we didn't decorate but we still had lots of candy, and still no one showed up. By that Halloween my brother in law had remarried and had 2 step kids plus the two of his own that were all of age and still no one came! This year we didn't do much at all, got some candy but not a whole lot... I told Chuck it is better to be safe than sorry. No surprise though, we didn't get anyone. When I was growing up, I remember how fun Halloween was. Dressing up in creative costumes hoping no one would recognize me, going around with my friends house to house trick-or-treating, getting boatloads of candy. When I was in high school and too old to go out trick-or-treating I took my brother out and we had fun! I remember going to a house and I did not know these people from Adam but my brother did and they saw me standing in the driveway and even gave me some candy. The next year, I was unable to take my brother out because I was then diabetic and all that candy was too tempting. But he came along and gave me some sugar free candy that was given to him by those people from the year before to give to me, I thought that was so nice of them! I remember being so jealous of my parents, I figured they had an awesome role answering the door to trick-or-treaters and I could not wait until I grew up and had a house of my own so I could play that role. Where did the trick-or-treaters go? What happened to this holiday? I have often wondered if it's because of the town I live in... most of all the state! Maybe it's just too cold up here or maybe the town is just too small and the people are known to be too untrustworthy. My parents don't get as many trick-or-treaters as they used to, but at least they get some. They now live in Colorado and it is cold there. Maybe the holiday is just plain better in Kansas. Halloween Sucks!!

No comments:

My Heroes

Photos `