Thursday, May 10, 2007

Her trip to Bangladesh

As soon as she returned from Bangladesh, Sharon told me how happy she was that her and Rassel were now married. They had gotten married on the first of August... Like the day after the she got there... At the court house. She told me all about how her mother-in-law and all of the people in the village threw her and Rassel a reception after their wedding. How she was basically treated like royalty while over there and how wonderful the people were... I kept thinking that she was probably treated so well because she was a foreigner but their attitudes would change if she lived there. Chuck told me that if she ended up living there, she would most likely end up being beheaded like all those reporters on the news. She didn't seem to pay any attention to how dangerous things are over there, she was too struck by a puppy love.

Rassel was an absolute dream, said Sharon. He treated her like an angel and paid attention to her the whole time she was there. She wanted to stay there longer but had to return because she had gotten so sick. During her stay, the mother-in-law ended up taking her to the emergency room and the doctor had told her she needed to start getting protein in her body. All they eat over there was rice and being American she needed meat. Not only that but her asthma started acting up again she was unable to get a refill for it, but Rassel's brother had the same breathing troubles as Sharon so she was able to borrow his breathing apparatus.

It did make me mad when she kept talking about the village and the people living there. Sharon would say that they were a close knit family oriented group of people. How the grand mother was in the same house as her son and grandchildren and next door to her nieces and nephews. She really wishes that were like that in the US, but instead we are too busy for one another and would rather put the older people in a nursing home. However, I kept thinking well I doubt that anyone would have disowned their own children, besides if it was so good are over there why did you come back?

Sharon would complain that she now had no way to see the kids. I mentioned this to their dad we made a deal so that whenever kids came over and she was around, I would call her and tell her to come over. She may have disrespected my brother in law and my husband, but she was still their mother and the kids grandmother. So I didn't think it was right for me to stand in the way and I kind of wanted to stay on her good side. So I went ahead and tried to help her by filling out some forms over the Internet to get Rassel a visa so he could come over here. It was not a simple task either, it literally took me months to complete.

At one point when the kids were over and so was she, Sharon wanted the kids to promise her that they would not get married until they were 30. She started telling them that before 30 everyone is just too young and immature to get married, they all end in a divorce anyway. Carrie said that her dad had married her mom before there were 30. Sharon told Carrie that her dad was way too young and look how his marriage ended. She would not let this subject go until the kids had promised her. I was starting to get very upset by this time and I came close to telling her off. I just started shaking my head and then I told her well your son and I got married when we were in our early 20s and we are still married eight years later! So don't be making the kids promise you some thing if it can be prevented by good role models. After saying this, she did not say anymore on this subject.

No comments:

My Heroes

Photos `